History of Naprapathy

     Naprapathy was established in the 1900s by Dr. Oakley Smith, an osteopathic student, and early chiropractor. Dr. Smith was one of a handful of early chiropractors to study under Daniel David Palmer (D.D. Palmer), considered the founder of modern Chiropractic. During a study tour in Europe, he got in contact with manual treatments that were part of a popular tradition in Bohemia (Czechia). Dr. Smith interviewed many Bohemian emigrants in order to learn more about their manual treatments. Based on his studies and interviews, in 1906, Dr. Smith published “A Textbook of Modernized Chiropractic,” along with a few other writers. The book described what was later to be called “Naprapathy.” In 1907, Dr. Smith initiated the first education in naprapathic medicine by founding the Oakley Smith School of Naprapathy in Chicago. 


     When damaged or over-used, Dr. Smith discovered that fibrous or dense connective tissues (ligaments, tendons, and muscles) led to a severe, scar-like condition in the body that often interfered with and aggravated closely aligned nerves. A differing view from Chiropractic.

 In the Czechoslovakian language, napravit means "to correct, or fix." Dr. Smith took "napra" from napravit (to correct) and added the Greek word pathos (suffering or pain) to coin the name naprapathy to help suffering or pain.